There are a lot of conflicting reports out there right now regarding the Coronavirus. However, if there is one thing that we can all agree on, it is that handwashing is essential.
Why is Handwashing SO Important?
Thorough handwashing is one of the most important things you can do to help with the spread of COVID 19 virus, as well as many other airborne illnesses. Remember, masks are only helpful if you are already sick, save the extra masks for medical professionals.
While they can help you not touch your face and mouth as much, masks will only help prevent the spread of the virus if you are already sick.
Masks will not help in the way that proper hand washing can.
Clean hands will stop germs from spreading from one person to another and throughout your community. It will slow down the progression of these germs to workplaces, childcare facilities and hospitals.
While many of us were washing our hands already, were we really doing it correctly? Here are the CDC approved guidelines for washing your hands.
- Wet your hands with clean, cool or luke warm water.
- Turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the back of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? We’re sharing our favorite songs below!
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or let them air dry.
So, What About Hand Sanitizer?
Here at McAuliffe Chiropractic Office, we get a lot of questions about hand sanitizer. And yes, we have sanitizer in-office. However, remember that hand sanitizer should only be used between washing your hands—not as a replacement for washing your hands.
If you are buying hand sanitizer, it should be above 60% alcohol (just check the label).
Make Sure You’re Washing Long Enough
The CDC recommends that you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds at a time. The best way to make sure you’re washing long enough is to sing a song while you lather up. Here are a few of our favorites:
- We Will Rock You by Queen – Sing the chorus three times.
- Staying Alive by The Bee Gees- Sing the chorus and belt out your last “staying alive!”
- Jolene by Dolly Parton- Sing chorus in your best Dolly Parton voice.
- Happy Birthday- This is a fun one for the kids. Sing it twice!
- Kiss from a Rose by Seal- Sing the chorus out loud, it lasts 20 seconds!
To help you visualize, we’ve included a diagram from Wash Your Lyrics to help. It will guide you through how to wash your hands with one of our personal favorites, Don’t Worry, Be Happy (it’s a pretty good motto right now).
If you have questions about proper hand-washing techniques and other things you can do to stay healthy during this time—reach out to us here at McAuliffe Chiropractic Office. A healthy diet, regular adjustments and proper hygiene are great ways to help you stay healthy and help keep your immune system up and running during this unprecedented time. Book an appointment, or give us a call at 301-776-0755.
We encourage you to avoid large crowds, but if you are going out and supporting your local small businesses, make sure to wash, wash, wash your hands before and after to do your part!